November Minutes

Estacada Public Library Board of Trustees

Meeting Minutes – APPROVED

November 29, 2012, 5:30 p.m.

Flora Community Room

Meeting Called to Order

Pres. Sager called the meeting to order at 5:30 p.m.

Present:  Dir. Kraig Bartel, Dir. Earlean Marsh, Pres. Suzanne Sager, Dir. Jane Troeh, Dir. Janet Bowen, Interim Library Director Michele Kinnamon,
Asst to CM Melanie Wagner

Review of minutes from the October 25 meeting

Pres. Sager stated that she would like to present the prior meeting minutes for approval before taking public input. There were no objections. Pres. Sager presented the minutes. Dir. Troeh made a motion to approve the October 25, 2012 meeting minutes as presented. Dir. Bowen seconded the motion. The motion passed unanimously.

Public Input

There was none.

Director’s Report

Interim LD Kinnamon reported that library statistics have gone up in all categories. She believes the library statistics are seasonally driven. She asked for questions from the Board and clarified a couple of details.

Interim LD Kinnamon reported that the Chapter 2 used book sales have brought in $777 since May 2012.

Interim LD Kinnamon gave an update on the Strategic Planning Committee. She stated that the surveys have been collated. Though she would like to finalize work on the plan by the end of December, she didn’t want to promise completion.

Interim LD Kinnamon informed the Board that she is planning to upgrade the public and workroom copiers. The public copier is leased, which is a common practice among the library districts. The copier in the workroom is owned, but is in need of substantial repair.

Dir. Bartel commented that in his opinion leasing is the best way to go.

As a follow-up to discussion at the October 25th meeting, Interim LD Kinnamon clarified that according to the City’s hiring practices part-time jobs are not required to be posted. She also requested that if someone calls a board member with a complaint or concern to please have that person also call Interim LD Kinnamon so that she can respond.

Dir. Bartel stated that it was in the City’s own policies that all jobs be posted, and he feels it is important to follow policy.

Interim LD Kinnamon responded that the City has a new employee handbook that went into effect this past summer that was approved by City Council and signed by all staff. It does not address job posting requirements.

Dir. Bartel asked about purchasing new computers as was discussed at the last board meeting.

Interim LD Kinnamon said that the County’s Library Network Manager, Kwang Kye, has asked libraries to hold off on purchasing until he can inform directors of some changes he wants to implement. He will address the library Director’s Group at its December 14th meeting. She will report back to the Board at the next meeting about the status of computer purchases.

Dir. Bartel asked if she still planned to submit the request to the Estacada Area Literary Foundation. She said that she will submit the request to the Foundation when she has a firm price estimate from the Library Network.

Dir. Bartel asked about the status of the Library’s Facebook page and the Library blog.

Interim LD Kinnamon stated that the Facebook page is not a top priority in her schedule.

She will delegate some Facebook posting to Ms. Sprague. The library blog, “Notes from the Living Room,” is live and the first posting was on November 1. There has been one comment so far that has been answered. She has encouraged other library staff to submit postings for the blog and expects staff involvement.

Old Business

Board Training

Pres. Sager, Dir. Bowen and Dir. Troeh attended the Effective Organizations workshop hosted in October and November by the Ford Family Foundation. Because of this program, Estacada non-profits that participated are eligible for 60 hours of coaching. As part of the coaching, workshop facilitators are available to conduct board member training. Interim LD Kinnamon is working with that staff to schedule a training session for January or February. There was a general consensus that this would be very helpful.

Bylaws Update

Pres. Sager asked the Board how they would like to work on updating the bylaws.

Dir. Troeh suggested a board workshop.

Dir. Bartel suggested that the City make recommendations for changes and then have a board workshop to address the recommended changes.

Dir. Marsh and Pres. Sager both voiced their agreement with these suggestions.

Dir. Bartel suggested having a workshop prior to the next regularly scheduled board meeting. All of the board members agreed that December 27, 2012 is a good date. They scheduled a work session from 5 p.m. to 6 p.m., and a meeting at 6 p.m. on December 27th.

The City Manager will send recommendations to Interim LD Kinnamon and she will distribute them to the board prior to the workshop/meeting.

New Business

Next official meeting date is Christmas week (Dec. 27)

During the discussion of the bylaws update the Board decided to meet on their regularly scheduled day. There will be a Board Work Session at 5 p.m. on December 27, 2012, and a regularly scheduled meeting at 6 p.m. on December 27, 2012.

President and Trustee Comments

Dir. Bowen is concerned about the donation jar not being specific about how donations will be used. Interim LD Kinnamon agreed that some description would help patrons understand why we’re collecting. She will create signage to describe possible uses of the funds.

Dir. Marsh recommended using the donations for a specific project.

Interim LD Kinnamon stated that the money donated in the jar is accounted for in the budget. Dir. Bowen suggested it could be for the summer reading program. The Board discussed breaking out the donations amount from miscellaneous revenue so the Board knows how much is being donated.

Dir. Bartel made a motion to form a building maintenance committee and with a minimum of one board member and as many citizens as want to be involved. Dir. Marsh seconded the motion.

Pres. Sager expressed her concern about whether the Board had authority to appoint committees.

Dir. Bartel explained that a precedent had been set with the Board forming other committees, and that he was agreeable to setting a time limit for the committee.

The Board discussed the potential need for a building maintenance committee.

Dir.  Bartel withdrew his motion. He stated that he would do more research on building maintenance and bring the topic back with a more specific suggestion.

Secondly, Dir. Bartel stated that he would like to propose that the Board form a citizen committee to help with the budget.

Dir. Troeh said it was her belief that it is the Board’s job to offer input on the budget to  the director.

Pres. Sager has a copy of the Handbook for Trustees of Public Libraries. She thought it would be good for everyone to have one. Most of the directors already had a copy.

Interim LD Kinnamon presented a proposal for the Literary Foundation from Librarian Annie Sprague for furniture in the teen area. She described the project proposal and stated that the cost is just under $2,000. She requested approval from the Board to submit the proposal to the Literary Foundation.

Dir. Marsh made a motion to approve that the request be sent to the Literary Foundation. Dir. Bartel seconded the motion. The motion passed unanimously.

Dir. Bartel recommended purchasing good quality items, not necessarily the least expensive, but items that would have lasting value. He said that he knows quality is important to the Literary Foundation Board.

Pres. Sager thanked the public for attending the meeting.

Dir. Bowen said that she appreciated the opportunity to go to the Effective Organizations workshop. She said it was four days of worthwhile information. She also stated that the computer skills class she took from Cathy Kreisman, the Library’s computer tutor, was wonderful. Bowen complimented Kreisman for her patience and knowledge.

Dir. Bartel thanked the public for coming and said that it is citizen involvement that makes democracy work.

Dir. Troeh stated that she had attended the Literary Foundation’s November meeting and that she is hoping to attend all of their meetings because they have a lot of fun things going on. She also learned a lot at the Effective Organizations workshop and is looking forward to the additional Board training in January or February.

Adjournment

The meeting was adjourned at 6:15 p.m.

Next Meeting: December 27, 2012

5:00 p.m. board work group (closed)

and 6:00 p.m. board meeting (open to the public)

Flora Community Room